Bob Pressey is a Distinguished Professor in the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies. Bob’s research team focuses on spatial solutions to diverse resource management problems, involving the design of conservation areas and applications of a variety of conservation actions.
Jorge is a Research Fellow with the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies. Jorge’s broad interests regard planning for the sustainable use of natural resources to achieve biodiversity conservation and development objectives. He is interested in contributing to further develop systematic conservation planning theory and practice through the integration of terrestrial and marine conservation planning.
Georgina is a Research Fellow with the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies. Georgina’s research interests lie broadly in understanding the factors that influence opportunities for collaborative management of common-pool natural resources, and the multiple socioeconomic and environmental outcomes of such initiatives.
Rebecca is a Research Fellow with the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies. Her research focuses on the effective design of locally managed marine area networks, including understanding the relative effectiveness of, and local preferences for, different management strategies; integrating reef fish movement ecology into conservation prioritisation; and resolving social-ecological scale mismatches to effectively scale up local management.
Danielle is a PhD candidate supervised by Bob Pressey, Sean Connolly, Tom Bridge, and Hugh Sweatman. Her thesis explores patterns in benthic and pelagic species assemblages on the Great Barrier Reef, to identify bioregions and investigate implications for spatial management.
Kaylan is an external PhD student, supervised by Jeremy VanDerWal and Bob Pressey. She works for Ducks Unlimited, an important NGO in the US. Her thesis will focus on conservation planning for wetlands in the Prairie Pothole Region and will include analysis of filling and drying cycles, threat assessment, and return-on-investment analysis.
Jess Cheok is a PhD student at the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies, supervised by Bob Pressey and Rebecca Weeks. Her thesis looks at the sensitivities of the systematic conservation planning framework to aspects of scale and resolution. She is also trying to understand ways in which we can better integrate across the different scales of planning, from regional-scale to local-scale, and examine the interactions that occur between these and how they can lead to successful conservation outcomes.
Jess is an external PhD student supervised by Bob Pressey, Colin Simpfendorfer, and Michelle Heupel. Her thesis will evaluating the effectiveness of large-scale marine reserves for conserving wide-ranging sharks, using a case study of the Cook Islands Shark Sanctuary.
Jon was an Australian protected area planner and manager for 39 years; 28 years were in the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park until his retirement in 2014. Jon is currently undertaking a post-career PhD titled ‘Planning and managing the Great Barrier Reef – lessons learned for the future planning of the Reef and implications for MPAs elsewhere’; this is being jointly supervised by Bob Pressey and Helene Marsh.
Kerrie is a PhD student supervised by Prof. John Pandolfi at the University of Queensland, and Prof. Bob Pressey at James Cook University. Her thesis will assess the efficacy of marine policy in the management of marine protected areas; evaluate the efficacy of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park rezoning in achieving its stated intent; and evaluate whether marine protected areas are adequately representing protected species.
Meira is an external PhD student supervised by Amy Diedrich, Bob Pressey and Rebecca Weeks. Her thesis focuses on assessing the biophysical and social impact of marine protected areas.
Ed is a Phd student supervised by Bob Pressey and Rebecca Weeks. Ed’s thesis focuses on determining the best ways to design marine protected area (MPA) networks to mitigate threats to marine biodiversity. He will then use this information to assess how well existing MPA networks conserve marine biodiversity on the coral reefs of Micronesia, and to identify areas that should be protected in the future.
- Vanessa Adams is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the University of Queensland.
- Glenn Almany was Assistant Professor at the French National Centre for Scientific Research
- Adrian Arias develops and manages Oceans 5 projects in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Amélie A. Augé is a researcher with New Zealand Department of Conservation.
- Natalie Ban is an Assistant Professor at the University of Victoria.
- Stephen Ban is a Spatial Analysis Manager at Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society of British Columbia.
- Tom Brewer is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow with the Northern Research Futures Collaborative Research Network.
- Jana Brotánková
- Adriana Chacón
- Ian Craigie is the Principle of Craigie Financial Planning.
- Debora De Freitas is a Research Fellow at the National Centre for Ocean Resources and Security.
- Rodolphe Devillers is a Research Fellow at Memorial University of Newfoundland.
- Mariana Fuentes is an Assistant Professor at Florida State University.
- Tatjana Good is a yoga instructor at the The Yoga and Fitness Studio.
- Alana Grech is the Assistant Director of the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies.
- Steve Hall is a GIS Analyst at North East Water.
- Mélanie A. Hamel is a research consultant for CNRS CRIOBE, and an adjunct research fellow with the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies.
- Stephanie Januchowski-Hartley is a Research Fellow at Laboratoire Evolution et Diversité Biologique at Université Paul Sabatier.
- Christina Hicks is a Lecturer at Lancaster University.
- Vera Horigue is a research Fellow at the University of the Philippines Marine Science Institute.
- Milena Kim
- Johnathan Kool is a Researcher at Geoscience Australia.
- Rafael Magris works at Instituto Chico Mendes de Conservação da Biodiversidade.
- Madeleine Mckinnon is the Director of Measurement and Impact at Vulcan Inc.
- Mirjam Maughan is a Natural Resource Management Officer at Department of Natural Resources and Mines (Queensland).
- Morena Mills is a Senior Lecturer at Imperial College London.
- Ben Reid is an Urban Planner at AECOM.
- April Reside is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the University of Queensland.
- Anderson Cassio Sevilha works at Empresa Brasileira de Pesquisa Agropecuária.
- Casper Van De Geer is a Manager at Local Ocean Trust.
- Piero Visconti is a a Research Fellow in the Centre for Biodiversity and Environment Research at University College London.
- Pete Waldie is a Researcher with The Nature Conservancy.
- Melissa Walsh is a Researcher & Consultant with Marine Conservation Finance Consulting.
- Heather Welch is a Research Associate at University of California, Santa Cruz and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
- Amelia Wenger is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the University of Queensland.